hens fighting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sumner28, Sep 17, 2011.

1. sumner28

sumner28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Adrian, GA
    I just recently added four new hens to my flock, I only had one hen and a rooster prior. The two i already had are being very agressive towards the others, they are also a good bit younger than the new hens. My young hen wont even let one of the new hens lay in the boxes. Will they finally get used to each other?

2. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    They're just showing the newcomers who's boss. It'll settle down in a couple weeks. [​IMG] If it get's serious seperate them to where they can see eachother, wait a few days, and try introducing them again. You might want to give the new hens some additional nest boxes so that they can retreat to them when the pair won't let them lay in the others. Good luck! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. happyhens120

happyhens120 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Central PA
    Yep... establishing the pecking order. They will fight it out a little, and then after awhile they will be buds. [​IMG]

4. sumner28

sumner28 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2011
    Adrian, GA
    thanks yal. They have calmed down alot. Two of the new girls have laid already still waiting on the other two [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by