Hens Fighting

1001saf

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Until today, I had 2 runs side by side and separated with only chicken wire. One with 2 hens and a roo and the other with 1 hen and a roo. I had to give the roosters away today because I can not have them in the city. I was hoping to just move the one hen over with the other 2 since they are all bantam, and then add some larger hens to the other side. When I added the single hen to the other 2, the least dominant hen started attacking her. I left them alone for about 5 minutes, but ended up moving her back to the other side. It seemed to be very violent, pecking at each others eyes. The new hen actually had a peck mark about a centimeter from her eye. Not sure how to go about this or how long to let them fight it out. I do not want to see either of them loose an eye. They have been side by side looking at each other since last fall, so they are not strangers. Any suggestions?

Too many changes at once. The hens are already on edge from the loss of their rooster. Leave them so they can see each other but not touch for another week and then wait until they are all on the roost to move the one over. They will still posture a bit, but it should not be as bad. It will take a few days after you make the move for them to establish a new pecking order.

That's what I was thinking, too many changes. Will give them some time and then try again. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom