Hens finally brooding...like twins

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CHKNFMR, May 6, 2008.

1. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    My two red hens that have been producing eggs wonderfully but would not consider sitting, has finally decided to brood. [​IMG] My husband told me to stop picking up the eggs and when they had laid enough they would sit. Well, the egg count has been as high as 14 with no sitting. [​IMG] Since the eggs had been there for almost 2 weeks I pulled them out. I have an old speaker box with two large openings, one for each hen, in their coop. During the last week, each hen has dropped at least nine eggs apiece all on just one side of the box. Each kept their eggs separated on either end of that side of the box though. When I went out to check on them Monday they were both settled in over each one's clutch. Neither moved when I went in to freshen their food and water. But they eye-balled me like I was a thief when I came near. I hope they stay on them eggs until there are 19-20 little peeps running around. [​IMG] I am so proud of my girls for finally becoming mommies!! Now I guess I have to adjust the coop door so that the little ones won't be able to escape once they're here. I have a hanging feeder not two foot from the front of the box and the water is not much farther away. You think I should move them some food and water a litte closer so they won't have to go hungry or thirsty while waiting for the little ones? And will the roo bother the little ones once they're out and about? These are the first hatchlings that will come from the hens and not out of the incubator. I'm just happy they're finally brooding!!!! [​IMG]

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Cochin hens won't get off their nests by themselves. I left them for 3 days and they were each enclosed in a little pen with fresh shavings so I could see any poop or if they had eaten or drank. After that amount of time I finally reached in and scooped each one out individually and put them in front of the food and water. Each hen was so hungry that they really ate quickly after coming out of their "daze". I had to sprinkle a bit in front of them to get them to "wake up". Now I lift each girl out every day for about 20 minutes of free time and keep the roos locked out of the coop since they chase each hen around. I never put them back till after they make a nasty smelly large poop and start sitting on the floor. They like to stretch their wings and preen themselves a bit and love to scratch around for grit for a while. Mine have been sitting for about a week now as they each went broody one day after the other.
    I figured they were going broody because they were molting but wasn't sure because I am new to this. Now when I lift them out I feel their chests are bare for sitting on the eggs.
    I may be a little over protective but it is just too much fun to have these little boogers around.

3. CHKNFMR

CHKNFMR Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    GA
    The more I think about it the more I think I am going to put them something closer to them to give them the energy they will need to keep up with all those babies if they all hatch out good. I think the ole girls would appreciate that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by