hens finally forgave me...I felt so bad!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by kareninthesun, Feb 26, 2012.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    My exciting week started Thursday morning. I was feeling, oh, odd. Been really hyper sensitive emotionally for the last week, not hungry, shakey. (not from not eatting, because I made myself eat). Anyway, used my hubbys bp cuff and discovered my bp was 221/111. Now, I'm a planner. This was early Thursday. I thought that I would go to the ER, but knowing it would probably be a busy day, went downstairs, opened the coop door and turned their light and the back porch light on because it was still more dark than light. I was going to refill their food and water dishes when I was interupted by my hubby whom asked what I was doing and why. I was abruptly redirected to come in, he brought me clothes to change into from my nightware, and off we went. I felt...stupid because wasn't showing signs of anything urgent. Spent the day having my heart checked (just fine) a bunch of blood work (all fine), debates over immedite on site meds or prescriptions. When my bp dropped (after hours of sitting and flat out lounging) it dropped to 164/101. Prescriptions only with a follow up the next day, and LOTS of lectures/reality checks in the dangers of waiting so long. Praise God, stroke and heart attack averted. Anyway, got home right after the sun set, and the hens had almost NO water, and nearly NO food. I am very thankful they free range. Next morning they let me know that they were happier being spoiled with constant food and two snacks a day by hollering VERY loud before 6 AM. Snuck downstairs to let them out, they couldn't have been all that hungry/thirsty because they first kept following me to let them know how they felt before eatting/drinking. Spent half of Friday getting my appointment at the Dr's worked in, and when I came back home, and checked on the hens, they were still griping!!! (noticed they ate all their earlier snacks and still had food left).

However, lesson to be learned aside from making sure someone is caring for your hens during emergencies, is don't take your bp for granted!!!! Let medical professionals make that call, that is what they are trained for.

OH, had to laugh, when the blood workup was done, the Dr asked if I always had low chloresteral, must be what I am eatting. I shared that mine has always been super low. That I eat two fresh eggs a day, and what do you know, got to educate not just the Dr but two nurses whom were curious. Taking all three of them eggs on my next appointment.

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    Glad you're ok!! [​IMG]

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Glad your husband insisted you go in right then.

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    I did not know this until just right now when I got call about my cousin in another state, she was just talking online with one of my sisters just last night until late and everything was beautiful and normal and she has been the picture of health her whole life, except for some recent borderline high blood pressure. But early this morning she had a major heart attack requiring emergency surgery, and she is young. Thankfully she survived and came thru the heart surgery ok and is now awaiting more heart surgery in a few weeks to repair other damage after she regains some strength. Please take care of yourself and don't hesitate to take action. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    you are so right! I take good care of myself, about 10 pounds overweight. I am always busy, love to multitask and offer help/support to anyone who needs it. just staying still drives me crazy. a dear friend of mine, a year younger than me, who was even busier in lifestyle, was preparing for bed and suffered such a quick fatal stroke. I had just met with her that day to go over our agenda for an upcoming four day retreat. she was to be my head musician. after the meeting, she voluntared a music class, then had a date. called me afterwards. he was a mutual friend, and I was so happy they both connected. she was a health nut, veggetarian, ate aglutten free diet. it was such a shock.not overweight, non smoker, no chemical use including alcohol or cafeine, because she knew tjwy wdrent good for a person. the last person you would expect to succumb to this. when she didnt show up to work that monday, her boss called her parents who lived a few miles away. it hit her so fast.

6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG]

So glad you're okay. (And that your chickens have forgiven you.) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by