Hen's foot suddenly very swollen, red, and lame

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggDropSoup, Aug 26, 2014.

1. EggDropSoup

EggDropSoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Hi all--

When I left for work this morning, my flock was fine and happily running around the yard. Tonight, I noticed Marlow--one of my most active hens--sitting quietly in the coop. This is her favorite time of day to hunt for bugs and graze, so I knew something was wrong. When I approached her, she stood up, but I immediately saw that she was only standing on one leg. I picked her up and took a look at the lame leg. Her foot is REALLY swollen and pink. It also feels hot to the touch. I really don't think it's bumblefoot. The sole of her foot looks totally clean and healthy--and the symptoms came on all of the sudden, like I said. She was perfectly fine when I went home to lunch around 2, and now, five hours later, her foot is swollen and she can't walk.

I didn't see any wounds, so I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm guessing she might have caught it and wrenched it on something--maybe like a sprain.

Other than keeping her still and quiet (I think I'll move her into a crate on the mud porch), what should I do? Should I soak her leg in epsom salts? Would it hurt to give her a shot of penicillin in case this is some sort of infection? She seems perfectly healthy, otherwise. Maybe she was stung by something?

It's frustrating not knowing what happened, so I'm just wondering if there's any good way to treat this, or if I should just let time heal her. I'd like to bring down the swelling, but I'm not sure how!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Mycoplasma synoviae or MS can cause swelling in the joints. I went back to read one of your older threads about MS in the flock. Could that be the problem? Gout is another reason for swelling of one or both feet, as well as an injury. Hopefully it is just an injury, but MS can be treated with Tylan 50 injections 1 ml for a 5 lb hen daily for 3-5 days. You may want to rest her leg by caging her for a week or two.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    A bird did test positive for MS in December last year, but none of my birds have ever actually had symptoms of MS. Since this happened so very, very suddenly with no other symptoms--and is only in one foot--I'm guessing it's an injury. I'm going to give her an antibiotic and put her in a dog crate. Could I give her some baby aspirin to help with the pain or swelling?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes, 1 low dose aspirin twice a day may help.

5. EggDropSoup

Sep 12, 2012
    Thank you. I'll see how it looks in the morning and get her some baby aspirin.

6. Lvemychickens

Lvemychickens New Egg

Nov 26, 2014
    Did this word for your Chicken My rooster has the exact same problem?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by