Hens found dead with no prior symptoms

gingerz45

Chirping
11 Years
May 23, 2012
I have found two hens dead in the past several months, the latest just today. Both were found lying inside their coop in the same location and the same position looking like they suddenly expired. Both hens were previously healthy and laying well. Neither hen showed any signs of injury.

My hens are housed with a rooster. Can a rooster possibly suffocate a hen while trying to mate? That's the only explanation that I've been able to come up with for the sudden deaths of these hens.

How old? and by any chance were you getting some double-yolk eggs fairly regularly?

I had this happen to one hen. Couldn't find anything wrong. But I stopped getting extra large double-yold eggs after she passed. I've concluded she was egg bound and I didn't see any signs.

Sorry for your loss :(

The only way you would know for sure would be to send the body off for a lab test, which is quite cheap, and then at least you would know if the others are in danger as well.

Good luck.

I doubt that a rooster can be blamed for this. What position were they found in?
Sometimes when you find a bird on it's back, it is attributed to "flip," which may indicate heart attack, stroke, or sudden death with no explanation.

Hi and welcome to BYC, but sorry that you join us under such circumstances. Like D/Diva, I cannot imagine that a cock bird would be the cause.

Regards
CT

Back
Top Bottom