hens from rainbow collection (+ added pics)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BobcatKen, Aug 9, 2008.

1. BobcatKen

BobcatKen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    For my summer job I've been working at a local farm. We have a small flock of about 40+ hens. We collect about 3 dozen eggs each day. I can identify some breeds like our Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorps, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Easter eggers. The rest I have to throw my hands up in the air because I don't know my chicken breeds. The farm is also raising up a group of about 50 pullets that were sold as as "Rainbow Layers". This is supposed to include a variety of breeds. I'm guessing they're pretty common breeds. Here are some pics I took this week. Sorry the pictures aren't so good. Help me out and identify them for me. I have a couple of ideas after looking at the hatchery's catalog, but this newbie would appreciate a little help from some more knowledgeable people. thanks in advance!

Pic 1: This is from our egg-laying flock.
    [​IMG]

Pic 2: It's hard to see but this pullet has feathery legs.
    [​IMG]

Pic 3:
    [​IMG]

Pic 4:
    [​IMG]

Pic 5:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    The one with feathers on the feet is a Light Brahma.

Number 3 I think could be a Columbian Rock.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    #1 i think is a partridge rock

#2 is a light brahma

#3 im not sure

#4 i think is a white rock...not really sure

#5 looks like a silver spangled hamburg

4. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    #1 Partridge rock
    #2 Light Brahma
    #3 Columbian Wyandotte
    #4 white rock or leghorn
    #5 silver spangled hamburgs

Good looking birds [​IMG]

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:According to the American Livestock Breed Conservancy, Brahmas and Hamburgs are on the Watch list and Wyandottes are on the Recovering list.

http://albc-usa.org/cpl/wtchlist.html#chickens

I agree with pkeeler about the breeds, unless #4 has a rose comb (like #3) and then I think you've got a White Wyandotte.

6. BobcatKen

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    Thanks for the quick replies. I appreciate the help.

Here are some random photos that didn't make the first cut. They might show the birds at different angles. Anyways, it was hard to take photos of these moving creatures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, not a chicken, but a bird that might not make it to December.
    [​IMG]

thanks for all the input.

7. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    What are those dark ones, dark cornish? Would they send them in the rainbow layer collection or did you order some because they are so tasty? [​IMG]

8. BobcatKen

Jul 20, 2008
    Mountain View, CA
    I have no idea what the dark ones are. All the birds in that pen except for the 2 turkeys were from the "rainbow layers". I would have asked for help id'ing the darker birds but I couldn't get good pics of those.

9. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Great pics and welcome to the forum!

I always wanted a "rainbow layers collection" but not by bird color, but by egg color. Different blues, greens, whites and browns (very light to very dark). That way I could tell which hen was laying and which one wasn't. [​IMG]

My perfect flock thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9366

10. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    We totally got the same order. I also ordered the rainbow collection (from MM). I know that the black hens with the red chests are Blacks Stars and I *think* the solid black ones with the bluish tint are Jersey Giants. I'm going with the theory that our white ones with the black streaks on their necks are Columbian Wyandottes. Did you get a bunch of black and white speckley looking ones. I haven't figured them out yet.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by