hens from roosters?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Loretta212, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have 8 easter eggers (got them for free not sure if the are true americanas) they are about 2 months old now. what are some indicators on how to tell if I have roosters this early?
    thanks [​IMG]

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Where did you get them from? If they came from a hatchery or feed store then they are not ameraucanas since hatcheries and feed stores don't sell true araucana/ameraucana

3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i got them from a guy who didnt want to take them with him when me hoved so i dont know where they origianlly came from i have just been calling them easter eggers they are very pretty but still young so i dont know what i have hen/ rooster wise

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    [​IMG] Yay for EEers! I love mine. But beware, some people are very sensitive about true Ameraucana/Araucana breeds. They will argue you to the death over true blood lines. They love their birds as well! [​IMG]

Look for differences in tail feathers, plumes, size... If you have both sexes you can see the differences.

And congrats!

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Post pictures and you'll have answers in no time![​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I have BOTH easter Eggers and AMeracaunas (from breeders) and love them BOTH ! I look at my baby EE's and wonder the same thing: girl? or boy? THe comb is no help at all.

I read a facinating letter to the editor in Backyard Poultry about sexing by tail feathers. Boys have very short tails and girls have tails about twice the length. One friend, with AMeraucanas, says it's not entirely accurate and I'm watching mine and waiting for the crowing to verify (or not) the boys.

IF they were purchased from a hatchery for egg laying, most people purchase sexed pullets, and they are Easter Eggers. You will like their sweet personalities much better than AMeraucanas which have not been selected for nice temperaments.

Enjoy your EE's. My favorite and first hen is an EE named Arielle.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    need some pics!

8. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    at that age run your finger over the top of the head and beak, if you feel a prominent ridge/comb. its prob aa roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by