Hens ganging up on young roo?

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
now this is an odd one...maybe someone has seen this- i previously had a roo that was mean and he went to freezer camp- i have now 2 young brahma roos, the alpha roo is discovering the girls.... only when he goes for one of them, the others or at least one of them will start pecking his head and then chase him all over the run.... any clue whats going on? are they just determined to teach him how to treat the ladies?

IMG_1031.jpg

Robin, it`s completely normal for older hens/pullets to resent young roosters. They usually rough them up at any given opportunity. Probably the best chance they get is when he`s feeling amorous. Whenever adding a new rooster to an existing flock, it`s best to add a MATURE cock that will immediately assume control. The youngster will grow into it, but his life will hang by a thread until then.........Pop

ok, he was one of 3 brahmas that were supposed to be pullets....you know how reliable that is! But, i am hoping since he's here, it will mesh eventually- so they are just working through dominance issues??

I am going through sort of the same thing. We have a Lt. Brahma Cockerel (he is 5 months old) and we have two hens that are a yr old. ( they are 2 BO's) He is just a big as they are and they boss him around chase him out of the run. I keep thinking he will eventually grow a backbone and stand up for himself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom