Hens got a taste of blood O.O

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Jan 27, 2012.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    today i put my lil RIR cockerl in with my laying hens cuz he's getting to big for the day care where i keep my young chicks i went out to close them up and and found him hiding under the nesting boxes with a hen behind him when i moved her i seen that some of his feathers was missing and he was bleeding a lil i rushed him inside and docter the lil guy up it was just a lil flesh wound thank god i put some liquid wound care to stop the bleeding and help heal. my hens has never been this bad even when i put in a new hen i also put in a young drake with the rooster so he wouldnt be alone and he's been in there before and they never been this way. now im scared they got the taste of blood that cannabalism will break out and i really dont want that what should i do to make sure they dont eat eachother or something

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    If you really want to be cautious you can try putting cian pepper in there feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by