Hens got "cocky" and went after me for their treats.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lengel, May 28, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    I went to give the hens their treats today. Apparently, they look forward to them now because when I opened the gate, they practically attacked me. They were so close to me that I couldn't move without stepping on them and then they started flying as high as my head trying to get to the bowl.

We spent the evening coming up with a system so that I can lower cages of food into the enclosure.

I now pronounce them healthy . . .

Do yours go after you for the really tasty stuff?

2. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Mine will run up to meet me at the car. and will follow my son around anywhere if he has a baggy in his hand. [​IMG]

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    [​IMG] OH I CAN'T wait! I want hens to do that to me and follow me around [​IMG]

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We recently had a new furnace installed. The man installing it was tickled pink that my chickens loved him so much. He had his toolbox out on the driveway. Everytime he bent over the toolbox, he was mobbed by chickens. He told me, "Your chickens must know I'm an animal lover. They keep coming over to be petted!" I just smiled and nodded. It made him happy to think the chickies loved him for him. In reality, they just think anyone bending over has treats in their hand!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG] Great story, Jody!

6. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Mine all come running when they see me coming. If I am looking in the window of the henhouse they all jump up on the roost in front of the window to let me know they are there. They definitely do it for treats:>)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by