Hens got into Medicated Chick Starter Feed !???

PandoraChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
The Dunes Indiana!
Hello all,

I am hoping to ask for some quick advice. I have some 3-4 week olds in the brooder that I have been letting out on warmer days..I bring their food with them while they are out, but keep the older hens fenced off in the other yard while they are out for now.

Yesterday after I brought the babies in, I forgot to pick up their food. My husband then let the hens out into the big yard and yep, you guessed it they were all snacking on the babies food.

I am just wondering if one day of snacking on it is enough to warrant tossing the eggs for a couple weeks?
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
I am sorry I think I should have been more specific...The baby chicks didn't eat something they weren't supposed to.

My 1 yr old laying hens ate the medicated chick feed and I am wondering if I should toss there eggs...They only ate it for one afternoon and there was not much there to begin with...Just dont know if that little bit of medicated feed is enough to have to toss the eggs.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.
Take the eggs for the next couple of days from the hens, hard boil or scramble them and feed them to the chicks.

Why are the eggs not ok? I wouldn't have worried about it
hmm.png

I gave my big girls madicated starter feed while I integrated some young ones in.. and I kept eating the eggs. Should be ok, I did find various opinions about this because I did some research just to make sure i wasn't eating bad stuff, but I think it really depends on personal opinion. And the fact that your girls only had a small portion on one afternoon, I definitely would not worry about it.

do I have to switch my broilers to finisher feed or can I keep them on chick feed (since chick feed has the highest protein %)?

people warn of waiting 7 days to process or use eggs from layers with ACS
but in all honestly I have processed chicken that have been on ACS right upto the day they where processed and im still here today

:)

Back
Top Bottom