Hens hangin' in the coop all the time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Madrone, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Madrone

Madrone Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2011
    I have 19 hens and just about all of them want to hang out in the coop most if not all day....fall in Portland=rain, cloudiness...is this something that will adversely affect egg laying in regards to the need for light?? I started adding light in the early mornings in hopes it will help with laying, too. Maybe I need to turn the light on even more if they are just loungin' in the coop? Suggestions/insights are appreciated!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Sounds like they see an aerial predator. Any chance?

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:X 2 Do you have a covered run for them. We had problems with hawks when we lived in the Vancouver area. I had to break down and created a roof over a big part of my run. I have hens with feathered feet and I had a white Silkie. Most of the hens prefer to stay out of the rain.

They really hate it when I turn the garden hose on them when they are snacking on my flower pots. [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have about five hens within the flock which hardly ever leave the coop. Everybody else is outside, ranging freely. They're just more comfortable in there. It's a rare occasion to see any of those gals outside, and when I do, I tell each how nice it is to see her outside. I am pretty sure that doesn't really do anything to encourage any of 'em to come out more often, but it makes ME feel good.

Their coop is a transmorgrified garage, 17 X 20 feet. It's not like they're cramped in there. If they don't wanna come outside, that's fine with me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by