Hens hangin' in the coop all the time

Madrone

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 24, 2011
I have 19 hens and just about all of them want to hang out in the coop most if not all day....fall in Portland=rain, cloudiness...is this something that will adversely affect egg laying in regards to the need for light?? I started adding light in the early mornings in hopes it will help with laying, too. Maybe I need to turn the light on even more if they are just loungin' in the coop? Suggestions/insights are appreciated!

Quote:
X 2 Do you have a covered run for them. We had problems with hawks when we lived in the Vancouver area. I had to break down and created a roof over a big part of my run. I have hens with feathered feet and I had a white Silkie. Most of the hens prefer to stay out of the rain.

They really hate it when I turn the garden hose on them when they are snacking on my flower pots.
lau.gif

I have about five hens within the flock which hardly ever leave the coop. Everybody else is outside, ranging freely. They're just more comfortable in there. It's a rare occasion to see any of those gals outside, and when I do, I tell each how nice it is to see her outside. I am pretty sure that doesn't really do anything to encourage any of 'em to come out more often, but it makes ME feel good.

Their coop is a transmorgrified garage, 17 X 20 feet. It's not like they're cramped in there. If they don't wanna come outside, that's fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom