hens hanging outside the coop at night.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KensingtonHens, Jan 4, 2011.

1. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Songster

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    What is up with that? I came home after dark and found them sitting on the perch, outside of their coop. It's dark outside. I thought they went to bed after dark. I do have the light on in the coop. Is that the reason? They think it's daytime? They are safely in the run and secure so I'm not worried about predators.

2. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I think you're probably right that they think it's daytime. Maybe set your timer so the light comes on in the early AM rather than stays on in the evening. Maybe you are using more light than you need. I don't do this (mine are molting anyway) but it doesn't take much light to increase egg production. I'm guessing this is why you have a light on.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2011
  3. stilldeb

stilldeb Songster

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    Is your pen movable/have you recently moved it? Whenever we move ours, the chickens literally can't find their house the first few nights because it's not where they left it, even though it's right there. Or yeah, could be the light.

deb g
    KY

4. deedra11

deedra11 In the Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    My silkie hen just started doing that too. I think something is spooking her though, because she is usually the first one in the coop at night. She has been doing this for about a week now. Not sure what to do?
    I think my silkie rooster is being mean to her.

5. KensingtonHens

KensingtonHens Songster

Nov 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Quote:We don't have a timer so lighting in the am is out. Because it gets dark at about 5:30 I think the thing to do would be lighting just until 8 or 9pm. I'm not familiar with how much light is enough. This EE is about 11 months old and hadn't started laying until 4 days ago, two days after adding the light. At that time we were leaving it on until 10pm.

I don't want to push them, but, I love getting the egg a day!! They're beautiful blue/green color. Is it cruel to add light?

Thanks for the help!!

Dee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: