Hen's hatched out a chick early! Help!

Chickenlady723

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2020
We have about 18 hens and 3 went broody all at the same time. We have 2 roosters. So we decided to let 1 chicken sit on about 6 eggs. Well long story short, we only had 1 egg make it to the full 21 days(yesterday). Today we went to the coop to collect eggs and there was a baby chick. I believe she started pipping today and a different hen came in and hatched her out.(and would of killed her) So now I have this chick in a make shift brooder and it seems to still have the yoke sac attached. We have a heat lamp on her and food and water in there. Anyone ever experience this? Any chance she will make it? Is there something else I should be doing? Any advice would be appreciated. She has been "hatched" for 9 hrs now and has barley moved. She is alive, breathing and chirping (sometimes)
20200621_204425.jpg

It depend on how early she was hatched. If she was hatched 2-3 days too early, she has a slim chance of making it, and if it was hatched 1½ days too early or less, she should be fine. You are handling this very well and I cant think of really anything else you could do, other than check in on her every couple hours. Make sure that she has enough food and water and she should be good

If her yolk has not absorbed, you do not want her moving. She needs to remain still so all of her yolk can absorb. Place her in a bowl or cup, lined with a dry washcloth or napkins, in the makeshift brooder. She may make it, just keep her warm, dry and still.

We have about 18 hens and 3 went broody all at the same time. We have 2 roosters. So we decided to let 1 chicken sit on about 6 eggs. Well long story short, we only had 1 egg make it to the full 21 days(yesterday). Today we went to the coop to collect eggs and there was a baby chick. I believe she started pipping today and a different hen came in and hatched her out.(and would of killed her) So now I have this chick in a make shift brooder and it seems to still have the yoke sac attached. We have a heat lamp on her and food and water in there. Anyone ever experience this? Any chance she will make it? Is there something else I should be doing? Any advice would be appreciated. She has been "hatched" for 9 hrs now and has barley moved. She is alive, breathing and chirping (sometimes) View attachment 2206119
Just make sure its warm because it was hatched and didn't do it its self it may take it a little longer to get up and go just keep an eye on it

Back
Top Bottom