Hen's Hatching on their own?

TanksHill

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Vista, Ca.
Hello, Just stopped in for some advice. I am new to the forum and having a little trouble finding what I need.

I have a dozen or so hens and decide to plant a few fertilized eggs in the coop. My sister in law has Roo's and one of her hens set a clutch, hatched three chicks and is raising all on ther own.

So I gave it a try. Lo and behold my daughter went to collect the eggs yesterday and came up the hill very excited. We had one hatch.

I have allways started with pullets so the whole chick thing is new to me. I guess my main questions are-
- Can I leave it all up to the Mamma Hen?
- What type of food if any do I need to put out?

I currently have the pie pan (filled with small stones and water) available. We also mixed up some corn meal and h2o. I have not seen the baby eat or drink. It does seem to be doing very well though.

- Do the chicks require vaccinations? I know this is probably not necessary but is it "recomended"?
- I do not intend to seperate it from the others, How do you think it will fare?

Any and all advice is welcome. Let me have it!!! Thanks, Gina

You may need to separate mama and the babies from the other chickens, since the others may try to kill the babies. Other than that, I'm gonna have to leave this one up to a more experienced BYCer!!! Good luck, and congrats on the hatch!!!

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have checked the hens several times today and they all seem to be getting along pretty well. The one baby chick now about two days old is walking around the run with all 15 hens. Pecking scratching etc.. the chick actually has two Barred Rock Mommies. Both sat the eggs and now both are tending to her. Lots of attention there.
I will keep a sharp eye. Thanks again. Gina

hi,i have one little baby myself. momma seems to be handling everything. the baby didn't eat until day 3. i made sure chick starter and water were avalible. the momma showed the baby where the food and water were. she also was very protective of that baby.she made sure the rooster understood his boundries and made sure my 20 year old niece understood that too. the interaction between momma and baby is really neat. the only thing i wish was that i had about 12 more babies peeping around.

Back
Top Bottom