Hens hatching ordered eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kdolly87, Jan 5, 2015.

1. kdolly87

kdolly87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    Just out of curiosity, can my chicks when they're older hatch eggs I buy online? Or do they know when it's not their own egg?

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    They should as long as they go broody. Some chickens never go broody. Also eggs that are shipped may have a lower hatching rate, sometimes. I have never have a chicken reject an egg once they are broody, their instinct takes over and they will accept any egg, pretty straight forward. When the time comes, if you are attempting to add eggs while she is in the nest. Add the eggs from behind the hen, some of the hens become very protective and if she tries to peck on you, she will not break the egg by accident.

3. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga

Thanks! I've been thinking about adding to my flock since the breeder I bought from seems to have sent me the wrong type of pullet and it may be a cockerel instead!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What breed/s do you have now and what breed are you considering?

Your plan can work if you wait for a hen to go broody and immediately find eggs to buy. You could get the eggs under her within a week of her going broody so that can work.

Some breeds are much more likely to want to raise a family.
    In order of tendency for broody habit - silkies, cochins, dorking, Java, Marans, Chantecler, Penedesenca, Brahma, Orpington, Araucana, Sussex.

Making the nest warm, dark and comfy with a few fake eggs in it will help encourage her.

5. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga
    The breeds I know for sure I have is one wyandotte and one orpington. One looks like a Wyandotte mix and the other looks most like a black australorp which was supposed to be an easter egger.

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The orp may go broody. Half the orps I had went broody, the others never did.
    Aorps can go broody too but probably not more reliably than orps.

7. kdolly87

Dec 22, 2014
    Dalton Ga

I'm also fairly certain my australorp is a boy! Forgot to mention that. But thank you for the info!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by