Hens have damaged feathers on head

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by choopes, Jun 2, 2011.

1. choopes

choopes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2010
    my farm South Alabama
    I'm trying to get some egg layers together. I've got a few. I get 2-4 eggs a day. Mostly have Moran, Rhode island red, and large black(sorry I don't know the breed name). I killed off 2 large roos last weekend, leaving one. I have also introduced about 10 new young birds, the offspring of the older, about 6 months old. Here's the problem. The older laying hens have feathers missing from their heads, and back. I thought there were too many roos. Now I'm just not sure. I watch them eat. The one roo kinda dominates one feeder. It's round so he can't dominate all of it. Also I added a 2nd feeder. I don't see any apparent pecking, so how is this happening? I wish I could seperate all the roos, but don't have a place. I tried free range, but something is getting them. How many birds per square foot in an inclosure? I also have a goose that lives with the chickens. Ihave not seen any aggressive behavior from her. Any ideas thought or suggestion appreciated.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    sounds like a roo... sometimes feathers will be pulled out when he is "holding on"

rule out mites and lice too though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by