Hen's have never laid eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EchoLakeHens, Oct 18, 2011.

1. EchoLakeHens

EchoLakeHens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    I have 3 hens who are about 8 months old and they have never laid an egg. I also have a 8 month old hen that started laying eggs very regularly a couple months ago. But I had to put them all on antibiotics and ever since then she has only laid 2 eggs in three months. I have 2 10 month old hen's who have been laying regularly except for here lately since one is molting. I have no idea what is wrong with my other hens. Was the antiobiotic I had them on caused some reproduction problems or what else could be wrong with my girls.

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    What breed are they? Do you have pics?

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    What was wrong with them that you had to put them on an antibiotic? I would wonder if it wasn't the stress of the disease that caused them not to lay.

4. frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Just an idea... but are you sure they aren't eating the eggs or that something else is not absconding with eggs? It may be that they are laying, but the eggs aren't surviving until you have the chance to find them?????

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Depends a lot on what kind they are.

6. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    The two that are laying frequently are americaunas. The ones that have never laid are two sister rhode Island reds, and the other is an americauna. The one that started laying but stopped is a copper maran. The americauna that hasn't ever laid got conjunctivitis so I put all the girls on antibiotics for two weeks and seperated the americauna. I don't think they are eating the eggs. I don't see any left over shells or anything. The last couple of eggs the copper maran laid ended up breaking because she's a big girl and she knocked them out of the nesting box. No critter can get in our coop so I don't think anything gets in there since we still get some eggs.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Have you read Speckledhen's sticky at the top of the page?

8. EchoLakeHens

Aug 2, 2011
    I read that but it doesn't seem like anything they have.

9. asaweare

asaweare New Egg

Jan 25, 2014
    Did your hens ever start laying? I have a few Copper Marans that are now 8 months and still no eggs. I thought maybe it was because the winter cold set in early, but I'm getting worried that they'll never lay.

10. dpericoni

dpericoni New Egg

Dec 22, 2013
    I have a 1 year old brown sexlink chicken. She has never laid a normal egg. Well early on she produce two small soft shell ones and then 2 months later laid a small hard shell one. Nothing since...She will sit in the coop everyday like she's laying an egg but never produces one. I live in Arizona. Sunlight not a problem. She runs around the yard and eats normally. Sometimes her poop is water other times it's normal. Any suggestions? I have only 2 chickens. The other is an orange sexlink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by