Hens have quit laying

Nroberts13

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2018
I have 2 hens that I was told were americauna hens, but when they were laying I was getting brown eggs so I’m not sure! They were laying really well and were free range, but they were laying in the neighbors barn and he didn’t like that so I bought a coop and put them in it with nesting boxes! Since putting them in the coop they have quit laying all they do is roost on the bar that is in for then to perch on!

I have 2 hens that I was told were americauna hens, but when they were laying I was getting brown eggs so I’m not sure! They were laying really well and were free range, but they were laying in the neighbors barn and he didn’t like that so I bought a coop and put them in it with nesting boxes! Since putting them in the coop they have quit laying all they do is roost on the bar that is in for then to perch on!

welcome to Backyard Chickens moving them from the coop they knew to a real coop is thrown them off or it was other birds laying Ameracauna do not lay brown you must have EE do you have photos

That's a huge change in their lives which causes stress and a halt to laying. They are unhappy, and probably confused by their new situation. They will resume laying when they are comfortable again. Birds that are used to free ranging don't take being penned up easily.

Americanas can lay Brown eggs if they are a generation removed from the "Blue" egg gene and Mixed. At that point they are Easter Eggers. I have one. Easter eggers can lay Pink, Blue,Green or in your case Brown. Do they Have Muffs and are Bearded? The classic leg color for and Easter egger is willow to green. The true Amerucanas have Slate to Blue legs and follow one of the descriptive colors for the breed.

The second thing is they don't like change and it could be some time before the get back to not being stressed and begin laying for you again. it's not uncommon.

What Diet do you have them on?

Americanas can lay Brown eggs if they are a generation removed from the "Blue" egg gene and Mixed. At that point they are Easter Eggers. I have one. Easter eggers can lay Pink, Blue,Green or in your case Brown. Do they Have Muffs and are Bearded? The classic leg color for and Easter egger is willow to green. The true Amerucanas have Slate to Blue legs and follow one of the descriptive colors for the breed.

The second thing is they don't like change and it could be some time before the get back to not being stressed and begin laying for you again. it's not uncommon.

What Diet do you have them on?
The leg color of them are a grayish blueish mix! They do have the ear tuff, but not sure on the bearded! I have them on hay alfalfa mix now and also on a laying breed pellet food

who makes the pellet breed food and the calcium contents please
I’m not sure of the calcium in it I threw the bag out but it pride and pleasure or something like that. There’s a better pic of my girls face and legs.
224A3794-4979-4D28-9904-53B76B7FA38F.jpeg
052CE640-8542-4FDC-BAB3-D319AB7A5870.jpeg

she is a easter egger profile photos are always best just fyi
Thank you, now I just have to figure out the gender of all my new ones..... We have bought 3 so called amaricanas, 2 australorps and and leghorn, but none were sexed

Back
Top Bottom