1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens have slowed down laying after I introduced new chickens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bbowen217, Apr 2, 2016.

1. bbowen217

bbowen217 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    I purchased 6 Rhode Island Reds that were almost a year old on Wednesday andI gathered 5 eggs from them in the first 24 hours. Thursday I bought 1 Rhode Island Red, 5 Golden comets that are about 2 years old, and a rooster. I gathered 4 eggs yesterday and only one this morning. Could they be stressed due to the young rooster being in there with them? Also I know that I got a bad deal getting the almost 2 year old Golden Comets but I was expecting to get at least 8 eggs a day out of all of them. Here is a picture of my coop. They have plenty of food and water at all times. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    When hens are moved to a new environment, there is usually a cessation in egg production. The eggs received the first couple of days are those that were already in the reproductive tract. They will resume laying - your pen appears to be on the small side for 12 birds.

3. bbowen217

bbowen217 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016
    Yes I know it's on the small side. I am building a new coop so I can split them up. I want to figure out which ones lay and which ones dont. Could the rooster be causing stress to the hens? He is about 4 months old and when I put him in with my Reds they started pecking at his eyes and cone.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I seriously doubt that the cockerel is the problem. The stressors are new environment, new flockmates, not enough space, and possibly a change in type of feed.

5. UrbanMamaHen

UrbanMamaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2012
    Southern California
    I'd say you'll get lots of eggs from the RIRs, but not the golden comets. At two years old, they are past their laying prime. I had a production hen, a red sex-linked, she laid well for a year but stopped altogether after the second year.

6. bbowen217

bbowen217 New Egg

Apr 1, 2016

That's what I was afraid of. I should've done a little more research on the Golden comets. Oh wellsometimes you learn the hard way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by