Hens have stopped laying

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
I have a small flock of 3 but they've been supplying enough eggs for my family of 2 until recently.

I'm in Los Angeles where it's getting hot but not as HOT as it's going to get.

They are all only about a year old.

I have recently changed their feed from whole grains (minus soy & corn) to crumbles because the feed store told me that grains were the equivalent of McDonald's french fries and they needed the balanced nutrition of crumbles Meanwhile, I also feed them assorted greens/veggies/fruit from my food prep and sprouted grains and that continues.

Anyone got a thought about what I should do to get back on a reasonably productive schedule?

Forgot to say their tranquility is also about to be challenged by 5 new baby chicks in the next few weeks.

I don't understand what "later feed" means. Oh! I bet you meant "layer" feed. Yes, it's been layer feed -- whether grains or crumbles -- since they were 18 weeks old.

Yes, I do supplement with oyster shell and ground eggshells. The only difference that I can think of is switching from whole grains to crumbles.

I had the same problem. The extra calcium did nothing. I just think its too hot or whenever something bothers them, they don't lay as much.

We are very hot here and it definitely affects the egg laying , one thing I’d suggest is to wet their food. I ferment my girls feed but that takes a few days to get going . All my baby chicks to old hens get wet down slop with cold well water in the morning.... also you can add electrolytes to their water .

We are very hot here and it definitely affects the egg laying , one thing I’d suggest is to wet their food. I ferment my girls feed but that takes a few days to get going . All my baby chicks to old hens get wet down slop with cold well water in the morning.... also you can add electrolytes to their water .
Thankyou, what kind of electrolytes ? oops, sorry, I thought I was replying to another thread. But still would like to know :)

Last edited:
I have recently changed their feed from whole grains (minus soy & corn) to crumbles because the feed store told me that grains were the equivalent of McDonald's french fries and they needed the balanced nutrition of crumbles Meanwhile, I also feed them assorted greens/veggies/fruit from my food prep and sprouted grains and that continues.
The feed change could be part of the issue, so could the heat.

Learn to read the nutrition tags sewn into the bottom of the feed bags.
Protein levels are important, especially if you are feeding bunch of other stuff.
I'm guessing your layer feed is 16% protein.
I'd cut out the extras for a week or so and see what happens.
When it's hot they eat less, so good solid nutrition is most important then.

I give an occasional dose of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins.
1 teaspoon to half gallon of water once a week during heat waves,
only when I see them panting hard with wings out and not moving much.
They should always have plain water available at the same time.
Don't over-do the electrolytes, they can cause as much harm as good.

Back
Top Bottom