Hens have stopped Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boppa'schicks, Aug 4, 2011.

1. boppa'schicks

boppa'schicks New Egg

Apr 17, 2010
    Hi, I have 2 hens, they have been laying sence Dec. 2010. 2 eggs every day. I live in sw Fla. Hot Hot Hot. My ? is they have amost stoped laying and when they do it may not be in there nesting box or it may be a soft shell. what could be the problem? Every thing elece is the same. They are very healthy. Please let me know what you think. Thank you Boppa.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Boppa!

I would suspect the heat for the laying slow down as it's been hotter than hot here in AR also and I'm getting half the eggs I normally would this time of year.

Our girls will occassionally lay an egg on the coop/run floor, I figure it was because they couldn't make it to the nest box but not really sure why they do so.

For soft shelled eggs, make sure they have extra calcium available. I bought oyster shell when they first started laying, now I just wash and crush their egg shells and feed them back to them.

Hope this is some help!

3. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Our 4 girls were laying like clock work until beginning of July. For about a week we were getting either no eggs or soft eggs from one of the girls. It turned out, she started to molt. At first we thought it was the heat, but the other 3 kept laying. There were no feathers on the ground to be seen the first week, but then one morning, wow, could have made a mini pillow with all the feathers laying in the coop. [​IMG]. Good luck

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with the above posts. molting and heat. [​IMG]

5. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    We're in SC, and our heat has been brutal, too, and our girls have slowed down their laying too.

6. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    First we had five broodies who weren't laying eggs, then it got so danged hot, and now I think everybody is molting - looks like a pillow fight out there. We have 14 mature hens and have only been getting about 2 eggs a day the past few days.

deb g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by