hens have stopped laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gpwelding1, Oct 23, 2011.

1. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    for the first two weeks we had them ,our hens were getting us two or three eggs a day.now all of a sudden we're getting nothing!
    we have a bar rock rooster who has been running every one in the chicken lot.would this cause them to stop laying,or could it be somthing else?

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    mine slowed down and a couple of mine havent started back up not quite sure what to expect for winter months. this is my first year too. i raised al mine so I think some of them dont know themselves.. [​IMG]
    good luck )O(

3. tsiecz

tsiecz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Pendleton,NY
    First year raising them too. I had one easter egger that was laying every other day , nothing now as she is going through a mild moult. All of mine have been ready to lay (any day,thats what every body tells me) for about two months now. They are moulting and with the colder, shorter days , I don't know if I'll ever see an egg until spring...The one thing I have learned through this chicken experience is "Patients".

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    First of all, how old are the hens? Sounds like you recently got older birds which may mean they've started to moult and won't lay for a while. The rooster would have nothing to do with it, BTW.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If these are not brand new layers, ie, 6 month old pullets laying for the first time, I'd fully expect them to react to the decreasing light of autumn in the northern hemisphere. Many hens also experience a major moult this time of year as well and laying pretty much ceases during moult.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by