Hens haven't laid eggs in awhile

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jkarakorn5, Nov 10, 2016.

1. jkarakorn5

jkarakorn5 Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    New poster[​IMG] So we've had our chickens since June. We had 5. About a month ago we were getting regular eggs daily. Just starting too anyways. Then came a raccoon and took 2 of my hens. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After the attack our hens seemed very sad and didn't make any real noises. They seemed stressed. We had 2 Buff orrfingtons and the raccoon took 1 of our best layer. However, it's been a month and we haven't gotten any more eggs[​IMG] I know the days are shorter but we live in N Florida and it's still pretty warm. Anyone else Experience anything like This?
    Really sad in Florida...

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Welcome to BYC and sorry for your loss :( it could be that they're not paying because of molting or the raccoons are still around and making them nervous.

3. jkarakorn5

jkarakorn5 Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    Thank you, it was really sad for all of us. We
    Trapped what we think was the criminal the next night. **** thing was coming back for the last 3. We trapped another raccoon 2 night later and left the trap out and nothing since. I'll look into molting...thanks again!

4. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    You're welcome, if your chickens are older than a year then they will molt and usually stop or slow down laying. Some ways to help them with molting is to give extra protein and calcium. You can by oyster shells and put them in a small feeder and they can take what they want.

5. jkarakorn5

jkarakorn5 Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    They were a little older when we got them. Not brand new chicks. I haven't noticed a ton of feathers missing but I'll definetely up their calciumand protein. We give them layer feed and scraps. They also free range from time to time. I appreciate your help. I really hope it's just coincidence with the days getting shorter and them trying to recover from the attack. It was devasting for all of us[​IMG] We are new to raising chickens so we've learned our lesson now. [​IMG]

6. Flock Master64

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    You're welcome, I hope all turns out well

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If they aren't laying, I wouldn't give extra calcium or layer feed. Too much calcium and no where to go. They may not start laying again until the days get longer in spring. If they saw their flock mates being slaughtered or dragged off, that is something chickens don't forget fast. If more predators are eying them - it keeps the danger alive to them.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

9. jkarakorn5

jkarakorn5 Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    Thank you, I'm happy to have found a flock! Lol
    Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'm definetely keeping an eye for predators, molting, and what they are eating. I have a black chicken that seems the most scared by the whole ordeal. Just sad to see them this way. They still get pretty happy when they get their mealworms. So cute to see them running! Lol. We are thinking about getting more chickens, but didn't want to do it too soon after the attack.
    Thanks again for your help!

1 person likes this.
  10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, but I am so sorry for your losses. :( I found some links on predator proofing your coop and run, you may like to read through them and take some extra precautions to make sure such a devastating thing does not happen again.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/predator-proofing-for-new-and-existing-coops
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135151/100-urban-predator-proof-chicken-run
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1095717/predator-proofing
    I hope these help, and I hope you are able to make sure varmits leave them alone from now on. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy BYC!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by