Hens Haven't Laid in 3 Months?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tigershep, Feb 19, 2014.

1. tigershep

tigershep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    My hens are just about a year old. They began laying in the fall and I was even able to get one egg pretty much every afternoon. But, when the weather began getting colder, I noticed the laying slowed down and eventually came to a stop... for three months. They still haven't picked back up on the laying, but I didn't think any cycle lasted this long. Because of where I live they receive a lot of shade throughout the day, even when they are let out for a stroll.

Any advice on how I can get the production back up, or do I just have to wait for the girls to adjust to a strange cycle?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where are you, and what breed are they?

You could try a light in the coop, on a timer to come on aorund 3 AM, or whatever would make a 14 hour day.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Did you see feathers lying around? They could have gone through a minor molt.

4. tigershep

tigershep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I have seen feathers laying around, actually. I had no idea where all of them were coming from, didn't even think of them molting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by