Hens humming?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WildBillHicks, Jul 25, 2011.

1. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    I have some hens at my mom's house. This morning I was up there with my step father. We were sitting there watching the birds and chatting when all of a sudden the hens froze, cocked their heads a bit and started humming. We figured they saw something but we couldn't see anything near us. The sound they made was weird but I'm new to chickens so that made it even weirder. Not sure calling it a hum is the right word. Y'all know what I'm talking about? Anyway, the dog barked and we saw a hawk fly off behind us. The hawk was about 100-125 yards away up in a tree so I guess that's what the hens saw. Once the hawk flew away they stopped that humming. It was a pretty neat thing to see.

p.s. The run is covered with wire so no fear of the hawk getting to the birds.

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    My birds make all kinds of different noises. Some hum and some squawk, clucking, some growl among other sounds. Once in awhile I hear a new sound and realize that one of the birds is making it.

3. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    My soon to be hen always growls!! Especially when shes upset about something!

4. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Yes, mine have sort of a sustained hummy growl when they're suspicious of something, usually accompanied by the sideways stink eye. And I am almost positive they swear at me sometimes...

5. Okie Amazon

Okie Amazon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Midwest City
    I have heard m ine "purr" with pleasure when dust/sun bathing!

6. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    My cockeral does that hum all the time when I let him and the girls out of their pen, he's always on the look out very protective which is sweet. The worst was my bantam when she first went broody she screamed at me when I went near her beak wide open that was scary!!! They do all make funny noises all the time. Great to watch them and take your mind off things :)

7. wayne hulgan

wayne hulgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    we have one hen who is making some sound almost all the time. most times it sounds like she is grumbling about something, kinda like an grippy old maid. her name is Cleopatra, but we have started calling her Granny. her coop mates have started laying, but she ain't. guess she just gripps too much.

8. Silkie<3

Silkie<3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Valley View
    Our chickens hum when they see grass hoppers ! :}

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

10. WildBillHicks

WildBillHicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Durham, North Carolina
    What was impressive to me was they all froze, cocked their heads and made that sound. I guess it's their warning behavior.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by