1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens in 1 box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ravenking, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ravenking

ravenking Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    so i got 3 hens and they all laying in 1 box how do i get em to use different boxes

2. Nyfarmer30802

Nyfarmer30802 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    chickens will generally go to the box they want is it for laying eggs? or for nesting?

3. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    X2

you could try putting their names on the boxes[​IMG]

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That's what they do. If a bird lays an egg in a particular box, the others will see that egg, and their little bird brain thinks, "Sadie Sue laid her egg there, so it must be a good safe place to lay an egg." I've had 3 or more birds fighting over one box, one on the bottom, one or more desperately trying to crawl under her, and an other one standing on top of her, simply because the other 6 nest boxes aren't as good as "THAT ONE".

5. Nyfarmer30802

Nyfarmer30802 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2017
    Yeah I ahve had a few all going for one box... chickens will go where everybody else goes they follow the crowd.

6. BobDBirdDog

BobDBirdDog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    Seriously! Just as a test, you could try putting some of the eggs in the other boxes.

then put their names on the box...he he he

7. ravenking

ravenking Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2017
    salisbury nc
    its for laying eggs but they fight over the box and break eggs i heard somerhing about golf balls in nest would that work

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Yes, try putting golf balls, (2 - 3) in each of the unfavored nests.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by