1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hens in a neighborhood backyard... suggestions please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wjallen05, Sep 29, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    A friend contacted me and is wanting to get a few hens for his family, but they live in a subdivision. He only has room for a few (he has a privacy fenced backyard- but they won't be able to free-range as he is not "supposed" to have fowl in the neighborhood) so I was going to help him out and get some ideas for a coop/run big enough for about 3 or 4 small hens (probably Leghorns). Any pictures are appreciated- thanks!

2. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    If his area is not zoned for poultry then the answer is don't get any. The fine for being caught with them is probably significant, and you can't actually keep them quiet- so he will get caught.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    There is always the Stealth Coop. They are expensive to buy. You could make one a lot cheaper.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by