Hens in an igloo on the trash can.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by barbara4rb, Jul 12, 2008.

1. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    I bet this is the craziest question ever asked here. ???

I have a workshop with a carport at my property, but no person lives there. I do have many free range chickens that call this property their home. :)

The hens used to lay eggs above the storerooms in the carport, but we have since enclosed the rooms, and the hens can't get up there. They aren't happy with this, and have been carrying on, trying to get up where they used to lay. So, awhile back, I put a smallish dog house/igloo on top of the trash bin with alittle hay. I figured it'd be an easy place to collect eggs.

Well, all the hens went crazy and laid piles of eggs in this one igloo. You guessed it, I now have 2 hens camped out in the dog house on all the eggs. I expect that the chicks will be hatching this coming week.

Here's my crazy question. The dog house is on the trash can with hens+eggs and soon to be chicks. When the chicks hatch out, I don't want them to wander out and fall to the concrete floor. I don't want to move the igloo. I'd like to put some sort of netting? or border or something to protect the chicks from falling. Maybe a board across the bottom part of the door??? Also, with both hens in there, I could be pecked to death trying to reach in for the chicks. I have a safe "Chicken Jail" for chicks/moms once they're out of the dog house. It's the getting them out that's puzzling me.

This great idea for egg collecting isn't such a great idea for chick collecting. Help?
    Thanks.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would move the igloo to a better place. Do it at night. They will never know

3. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Isn't it amazing how adaptable hens can be? Moving the igloo at night sounds like a good idea. Here's hoping everything goes well!! [​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I would agree. Move the entire thing at night and they will be none the wiser and will be much safer. The mom's will most likely take the babies back in there at night to sleep also.
    You could try to move the mom's and eggs into another place and leave the igloo there, but I personally would move the entire thing.

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'd say move it off the trash can during the night. You can always stick a spare 5 Gallon bucket on the trash can for the other hens to lay their eggs. Good luck and congrats on the soon to arrive chickies [​IMG]

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    This is a hysterical problem, isn't it? I have to laugh that no one but us chicken people would have any idea.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* It was a very clever idea for awhile, I think. But, yep, could be a hard landing for chickees. I was thinking you could shove a brooder box up against the trash can with several inches of bubble wrap topped with shavings (GERONIMO!!! INSTANT STUNT CHICKENS!)--- but moving the igloo down works, too. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  8. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    put another igloo in its place.. [​IMG]

9. barbara4rb

barbara4rb Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Albuquerque, NM
    After much discussion among 5 of us, we decided to move the girls in their igloo this evening. We debated building a plywood bottom with sides 12" high sides and lifting the igloo and putting it in it on the trash can. Decided babies would climb out in a few days. Can't put the igloo on the ground, as we have an evil raccoon visitor once in a while. I did like the bubble wrap idea! :)

I fixed up the chicken jail out in the yard (8' x 8' x 2' chicken wire enclosure) and tonight 4 of us went over and moved the igloo. Nary a peep was heard. We faced the igloo against the existing igloo and covered the jail with a tarp. Hopefully the girls will wake up tomorrow and wonder why their view has changed, but won't budge.

Oh yes, tomorrow when I go down to feed everyone, I'll put another igloo on the trash can.

See pictures from a previous post with a previous hen/chick prisoners.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=68782

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  10. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Glad everything went well so far! Here's hoping the hens don't notice [​IMG]! Can't wait to see baby pics!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by