Hens In My Flock-The Egg Race

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CosmoTheRooster, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Charolette-Barred rock(4.2months)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Unice-Buff Orpington(4.2months)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maggie and cookie-Ameraucanas(4.5months)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    The suspense has been building for me, my chickens are approaching egg laying age. So I have a flock of 16 chickens, but I only included the older pullets in the poll. My guess would be my barred rock, being the most plump, with decent comb/wattles, will lay soon. One thing I have noticed her doing, is that she recently moved perches and now roosts alone at night. I have nest boxes with a few golf balls nestled into the soft pine shavings. I am sorry, I would include current pictures of them, but it's late at night. I will throw in some pic's of them tomorrow. I have been reading around here, but nothing seems to be relevant to my situation. I would like to know some signs they will show before laying(and the amount of time they will display this sign before laying). I have read about "squatting", but my roo's bother my immature pullets so much that I think it might have affected their instinct to "squat". My girls have not made any drastic changes in behavior lately. I would like to know how to condition them into laying, because they seem clueless around the nest boxes.

Like I said, I will include pictures of the girls soon

Thanks, Cosmo

2. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by