Hen's ink jets

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by EweSheep, Jun 27, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I had this question for a while and thought, why not throw the questions at you guys regarding to the hens' ink jets.

If you were to butcher one, would you SEE the ink jets? Do they have coloring bags? I was thinking of a squid and if you squeeze them, the ink will expel by the squid and if you butcher the squid, you can find the ink pockets....a mess!

However, I don't see it or not sure where they are located? Where can we find that color pockets?

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Wonderful question.

I do not know as we have not seen them either. DH is still in amazement over the "inner eggs" as he calls them (he uses them in yolk dishes)..

It would have to be down the line, close to the exit site.....................Next time, we will take a closer look.

3. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Hens have ink jets?
    What exactly are ink jets? What do they do?

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Kristy, it's the "thing" that put out the color on the eggs like the dark egg layers to Ameraucanas to Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers. Not positive for white egg layers, they may not have any "ink factory" in their bodies.

Yes, I would LOVE to see the ink factory organs......it would be interesting to see the "paint brush" spots too!

5. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:oh that is so cool

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by