Hens Job

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fishingdude93, Sep 19, 2010.

1. fishingdude93

fishingdude93 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    If my eggs are fertile then why isn't the hen trying to hatch the eggs. She lays the egg and then leaves and never sits on it again. is this because she is a young hen and doesn't know yet.

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Broodiness is due to a hormonal change in the hen which gives her an irresistible desire to sit on ......well anything....fertile or infertile eggs, golf balls, fake eggs, pebbles, anything or nothing.

The hen does not link the fact that she is being mated with the fact that she could hatch chicks from her eggs.

Some hens (and some breeds of hen) spend much of their lives broody (my Brahmas do), but hybrids rarely, if ever become broody.

Sandie

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's because she isn't broody, which is something that is kicked off by their hormones. Hatcheries have done their best to breed broodiness out of them. because when they are broody, they don't lay. She may or may not go broody for you.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:First, have you established that she is of a breed that actually goes broody? If so, how old is she? Most mature hens, of a broody breed, will lay several eggs, called a clutch, then nature calls and they begin the broody process. Pullets (under a year old), sometimes just don`t "get it" on the first go round. Here`s a really great article on broody hens.........Pop
    http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by