Hens just started laying a couple months ago.something wrong with vent?

Pics

Anne_

Chirping
Dec 16, 2021
My hens just started laying and I’ve noticed a few bloody eggs. This morning i noticed one of my hens back side looking really sore with something protruding out? What is this and can anything be done? I posted a couple pics

Attachments

• E96E4356-2DFD-46B4-8BCD-D24B3F300586.jpeg
    E96E4356-2DFD-46B4-8BCD-D24B3F300586.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 1E0E7C33-783A-4052-9024-DC60B3E58997.jpeg
    1E0E7C33-783A-4052-9024-DC60B3E58997.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 170F7D8E-8FD2-4604-9C29-EB21C239F387.jpeg
    170F7D8E-8FD2-4604-9C29-EB21C239F387.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 5
  • BB85D955-1C9F-42DA-B4BE-B3A4FA8AAB77.jpeg
    BB85D955-1C9F-42DA-B4BE-B3A4FA8AAB77.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 6
A prolapsed cloaca or vent is something that can be treated, but she needs to be separated from her flock who may be attracted to the red tissue and peck and injure her. Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil/cream, and try pushing it back inside. Keep her vent clean, and a daily soak can help to heal or wash off droppings. Is she able to poop? You may want to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. Does she lay eggs often? Prolapses occur sometimes from being egg bound, and straining to pass the egg or being constipated. Here is another good article about prolapses:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

A prolapsed cloaca or vent is something that can be treated, but she needs to be separated from her flock who may be attracted to the red tissue and peck and injure her. Keep the prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil/cream, and try pushing it back inside. Keep her vent clean, and a daily soak can help to heal or wash off droppings. Is she able to poop? You may want to give her a human calcium tablet with vitamin D or a Tums orally. Does she lay eggs often? Prolapses occur sometimes from being egg bound, and straining to pass the egg or being constipated. Here is another good article about prolapses:
Thank you. I just gave her calcium and tried to clean the area and put olive oil on her vent. When I attempted to push it back in I could tell it bothered her so I left it

Is this a good sign? After a salt bath, Olive oil, and calcium pill this is what she looks like this morning. It appears to be an egg hanging down. Should I leave it or try to pull it out?

Attachments

• 16F7D8EC-9316-4914-BAA2-23A57502505A.jpeg
    16F7D8EC-9316-4914-BAA2-23A57502505A.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 6
Is this a good sign? After a salt bath, Olive oil, and calcium pill this is what she looks like this morning. It appears to be an egg hanging down. Should I leave it or try to pull it out?

Attachments

• 8DC726E4-45F8-43D8-8BBC-8629EA8495F8.jpeg
    8DC726E4-45F8-43D8-8BBC-8629EA8495F8.jpeg
    882.7 KB · Views: 6
That does not look too good.
Separate her from the rest of the flock so she doesn't get pecked on the prolapse.
Are you sure there's an egg in there? Does it feel like one?
Keep giving the calcium.
How is she now?

That does not look too good.
Separate her from the rest of the flock so she doesn't get pecked on the prolapse.
Are you sure there's an egg in there? Does it feel like one?
Keep giving the calcium.
How is she now?
I can see the egg at the opening of her vent but the vent is right out. I gave her more calcium and a magnesium bath and put more olive oil on her vent. I’ve pushed the vent back in gently but when she pushes it comes right back out. She’s away from the flock now

I can see the egg at the opening of her vent but the vent is right out. I gave her more calcium and a magnesium bath and put more olive oil on her vent. I’ve pushed the vent back in gently but when she pushes it comes right back out. She’s away from the flock now
So the egg is inside the tissue that's hanging out?

Back
Top Bottom