Hens just waiting for feed and not foraging.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by VanUnamed, May 20, 2019.

1. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    Hello,
    Lately, it has been spring, i haveover 2,000 sqm of land that's a mix of trees, wild fruit trees, pasture, good ground. So i tried to send my hens there, (land is fuly fenced) , nothing. they would go back to the run to sit down and wait for commercial feed. I then started to put some feed around where i wanted them to forage, it worked for a bit, then now I can see them walk back and forth in front of the gate waiting for feed again. It's all winter I am waiting to have them eat a natural diet and cut down on commercial feed. Here where i live commercial feed isn't really a thing as people leave chickens to forage all spring and summer, I can't see why they behave like this. egg number is not important of course.

2. Timothy Menezes

Timothy Menezes Songster

Nov 27, 2017
    Monterey, California
    Chickens are very much creatures of habit. Just leave their door open so they can adjust to having access to the open land.

Also, they are programmed to lay eggs in the coup. If you close the door, then they just stress about not being able to get to where they lay their eggs. It doesn't matter to them whether you want the eggs or not, they still need to lay the eggs.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    To could try treat encouragement. Lure them out with some tasty bit of whatever they really like and then sit out there with them while they eat it. Mine like oats, flax seed, cut watermelon and raw sunflower seeds.

Give them a tiny bit for a few days in a row and park a lawn chair out there with them. They'll eventually catch on, regardless, but this might speed it up.

4. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    Oh, for the eggs... they carved a nest into a bush. I always find eggs there.

5. VanUnamed

VanUnamed In the Brooder

Jul 26, 2018
    Romania
    thanks for the advice, i sprayed feed in patches that are half grass half dirt, now they scratch all day and no feed is left. I also watched them scratch, but there isn't much in the soil :( at least now they are out there fertilizing instad of stinking up the run. thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: