1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens keep attacking rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mac7565, Jan 20, 2013.

1. mac7565

mac7565 New Egg

May 14, 2012
    I was hanging out with my chickens the other day when I saw one of my hens pecking the feet of my rooster. He was dripping blood pretty badly. I got a cage and kept him in my house until he healed. I put him back out this morning with no signs of a wound on either feet. About two hours later he was ripped open and bleeding again. I was wondering how I can prevent this. Any help would be greatly appreciated because my rooster is such a sweet gentle soul. He does not deserve this sort of treatment. Thanks!

BTW all my chickens have been in the pen together without incident for over eight months.

2. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    Find out which chicken is hurting him and eat it

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    If they just started this behavior it is possible he cut his foot on something and the blood attracted the hens to peck at his foot and keep tearing it open. Foot injuries are sometimes hard to see with the thick scaly skin on their feet. I would put Blu Koat or blood stop powder on his foot and reapply it every few hours.

4. mac7565

mac7565 New Egg

May 14, 2012
    That crossed my mind but if i did that at this point my pen would be empty:) Thanks.

5. mac7565

mac7565 New Egg

May 14, 2012
    I painted the old man's feet blue and put him back out a few days ago. So far everything is going fine.[​IMG]

6. Hillschicks

Hillschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2012
    So you dont have a betty eh... My fat new hampshire loves nothing more than eating paint lol... Glad they are leavin him alone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by