Hens kicking out bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by horsehoundhouse, Oct 30, 2014.

1. horsehoundhouse

horsehoundhouse New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    Virginia
    My hens kick out whatever bedding I put in the nesting boxes. I've tried hay and shavings and no matter what they kick it all out and lay on bare wood. We had mites a while ago (that's when they started) but not anymore. Any suggestions?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Do you have a low board over the bottom front of the nests, if not, try it. It keeps the nest material in. If may not be their intention to remove the bedding but they love to scratch and wiggle to make the nest right for the sit to lay.

3. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I agree with a board across the front if you don't already. My chickens used to kick straw out of their coop until I switched to shavings and put an upright 2x4 across the entrance.
    It has stopped since.

4. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of that 2X4. I can't picture it.

5. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I personally am going with a 1x4

6. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    I can certainly take some pictures when I get home tonight. [​IMG]

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Nest boxes
    In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit (nest boxes are 1 ft³). When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

[​IMG]

8. amenfarm

amenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Chattanooga, TN
    I agree with the add a board to the rim of the nest box. I have also added the rubbermaid rubberized shelf liners to my boxes. My husband changed the bottom board to a lamate and all the girls were sliding everywhere. not only did the shelf liners stop that, but almost everthing shakes off, or a light hosing gets anything else.

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG]
    We have a 1x2 in front of nests. Sorry girls were beginning to explore before started laying and block the view.
    The small wood pieces on the sides holds it in place, can pull the board up and out to clean out the nest boxes.

10. horsehoundhouse

horsehoundhouse New Egg

Mar 16, 2014
    Virginia
    Thanks, everyone. We have a tiny lip but I'm going to try to add a taller one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by