Hens killed 12 week old Wyandotte roo?!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Beefcake15, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Beefcake15

Beefcake15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Colorado
    Has anyone else had their hens kill a young rooster? I put my young pullets and 3 roosters(12weeks) in with my 6 months to 1 1/2 year hens last night. Everything seemed to be going well last night and all morning so I went to work. When I got home one of the Wyandotte rooster was dead in the corner of the coop with face peeled off and feathers all pulled out. All the chickens were walking around like nothing was wrong. The coop was locked up tight nothing got in or out. The hens must of killed him. The other two roosters seem fine but they are much small than my Wyandotte was. H:(e was almost the same size as my adult hens. Do you think I need to worry about my other roosters?

2. parksfamily08

parksfamily08 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2013
    They may have picked on him and when they saw blood, went into a cannabalistic frenzy. It can happen and I hope it doesn't happen to others if you are pretty confident it was the older girls. Sorry for you loss, it always stinks to have one die.

3. Beefcake15

Beefcake15 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2012
    Colorado
    Well the pullets and Roos have been together since they were hatched with no problems so I am guess it was the older ladies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by