? hens "killing" other hens eggs?

MrsEison

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 17, 2012
I have a 9 hens and one roo. I get 7-8 eggs a day normally, however............almost daily there is one, a green one, with a hole pecked in one end????? What on earth? sometimes its every other day or so but very consistent. always a green one and always just a hole about the size of a dime or the eraser end of a pencil in one end. Any ideas? Could one hen be sabotaging another hens egg?

Some hen found its tastes for eggs. Try to find which one is doing it, but thats not easy. try to pick up eggs often, you can put wooden eggs or golf ball in the nest . hope that will stop soon !

I have heard that if you blow out an egg and fill it with mustard and the culprit hen pecks into it and eats sum that they will stop eating the eggs.

If the inside is still intact and they haven't eaten the inside of the egg then you might want to try adding more bedding in the nest boxes.

If they are eating the inside of the egg I would stalk them whenever I had time so that I can collect the egg immediately after it was laid and make sure there is a fake egg or a golf ball in the nest box. When they try to peck the fake egg to eat it and realize they can't break it open then it might make them lose interest in trying to break and eat the 'real' eggs.

Good luck!
frow.gif

Sometimes I have an egg with a hole about the size of a pencil eraser on the very end, the small end, of an egg. It happens because there isn't enough bedding to soften the eggs fall and it pops out a tine hole.

the culprit is not eating it at all, in fact sometimes the membrane is still intact. out of all the eggs, it seems to be happening to the same hens egg. I get brown, white, green, and pink eggs, it is always a green one. different nesting boxes, but seems like the same hens egg :) ?

Definitely try and put a lot more bedding in the nest boxes and that should fix it. This has happened to me several times before. Same way too with just a bit of shell missing and membrane still intact! Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom