Hens layed in the broody's nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cestial225, Nov 12, 2013.

1. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have a Silky pullet sittin on eggs right now. they are around day 15-16. Well the last two or three days my other girls have not been laying as many. I thought maybe it was cause of the weather and short days and I have not been home to turn on the light in the coop. Well today I saw where they have been laying. In my broody's nest! So instead of 6 eggs, she was sitting on 14 today! It is probably only 2 days of extra eggs in there maybe more if some hens have been skipping days. But no more than 5 days cause I know I checked last week and only saw the six that I set in there. So I took out all the new eggs, marked them and set them under another Silky pullet that just decided to go broody a few days ago.

So now I am worried that sitting on so many may have messed with the original six. But she covered them pretty well surprisingly. I mean I look in there every day and I never would have guess that she was sitting on so many eggs.

I was not planning on hatching out 8 more chicks either but since they have already been sat on for 2-3 days I dont want to eat them. I dont want to crack open an egg and see anything remotely resembling a baby chick, or a heart or blood or anything. So it is totally not my fault that chicken math has struck again right :p

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm not sure if this chicken 'math' or chicken 'rationalization'. [​IMG] Perhaps a combination of both?

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it is best to mark the eggs you want sat on and remove the rest- at this point candle, then remove the others. you can still give'm to your dog.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She has placed the 'added' eggs under another hen that has just started to set.

1 person likes this.
  5. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I dont think my little silky can cover the 8 eggs that I placed under her. I can see them sticking out. So I am considering taking out 2 or 3 of them. I might put them in the incubator and hatch them out myself. Do you all think I would be able to slip the chicks back under her if they hatch? I really dont want to be caring for chicks right now. I really dont want chicks in the house right now. I really dont want to crack open the eggs I take away either though. I guess I could toss them in the woods or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by