1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hens laying eggs in random places

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lesley7244, Jan 3, 2013.

1. lesley7244

lesley7244 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Hi all,

New owner here. My chickens just started laying this week. Yippee!!!

I have three eggs so far. Two I found buried under all the straw. Am I always going to have to hunt through the coop straw or will they learn to lay in a nest box? I have three nest boxes that I just fluffed with straw. Do people really use an egg to train them to lay in a box?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Placing a fake egg or a golf ball in the nest box does help some, yes. Give it a try?

3. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Ditto[​IMG]. If you have straw on the floor & in the boxes, it may take them longer to adjust. We have pine shavings on the floor & straw in the nest boxes and other than a couple of whoopsies when they began, they always lay in the boxes.

4. MorgansManor

MorgansManor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Southwest Arkansas
    I have 10 nesting boxes filled with hay and little mixture of pine bedding all the girls seem to love it except for one. I have a partridge rock hen that is determined to lay in my dog's house everyday. I call her my crazy chicken :)

5. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    i have a blue cochin hen thats lays her eggs in with our jack russells dog house. glad to here im not only one with a crazy chicken. n missy guard them when hen is eating.

6. MorgansManor

Jul 12, 2012
    Southwest Arkansas
    I bet the blue cochin is beautiful. I have been thinking about getting a few Cochin to add to the flock.

7. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    I got two day old chicks for my little bantam who had been broody (I can't have a roo) and one of them is half Cochin. She has all the physical traits of the cochin - she is huge, about 9 lbs, a ball of feathers and she has the most wonderful little personality. If I lived in a cooler clime, I would have more but I think the heat here in SW Florida is too much for them. Of all my girls, she is absolutely my favorite. Very friendly, curious and gorgeous. She is only half Cochin, the other half is SLW.

8. MorgansManor

Jul 12, 2012
    Southwest Arkansas
    Oh well i had not thought about the heat being and issue. Here in Arkansas it can get very hot but my flock has lots or shade and dirt to dig down. Btw now a buff and golden lace where in the dog house oh mine what has that partridge rock started out there.

9. buddy phoenix

buddy phoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    possum snout
    blue is crazy when she walks i laugh. mostly feathers in motion! i just cant find a roo.

10. Brandi Leigh

Brandi Leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

I leave two golf balls in all 5 of my nest boxes and it really helped encourage our hens lay in the boxes. But I still on occasion find a random egg in the middle of the floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by