Hens laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lucky Lucy, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Lucky Lucy

Lucky Lucy New Egg

Aug 28, 2009
    My hens are laying anywhere they please. I have a hen house with laying boxes but they prefer to dig holes and lay in them all over the hen yard. What is up with this behavior and how can I get them to lay in one place?

2. deniker

deniker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    El Paso, Tx
    Try putting some golf balls or fake eggs in the nest boxes and lock them up for a few days

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:I couldn't agree more!!

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    The golf balls work for us. We'll see how the next set of birds take to them. They are 17-19 weeks, depending on exactly which birds we are talking about in the new set. It shouldn't be long before I start seeing eggs from them, and if they take the hint from the golf balls. I have my fingers crossed.

5. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We put ceramic eggs in the nest boxes. Although they look very real, so we had to put a mark on them so we knew what was real and what was fake. Every once in a while my bantam cochin lays her egg in the dust bath. We think she was having so much fun in her dust bath that her egg slipped out. Our chickens are confined to a run because we have pesky hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by