Hens laying in outside nests

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kimberly09, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Kimberly09

Kimberly09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    A few of my chickens have stopped laying in the nesting boxes in the coop and are now laying in the guinea fowl nests outside in the woods. How can I get them to stop and continue laying in the coop? I should add they free range all day and go into the coop at night with the guinea fowl.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coop em up for a week.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -- when they develop a habit you do not like, you simply replace it with a new habit that you do like -- in the case of rogue laying, you remove the option for a period so that they become accustomed to using the intended nests.

4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE

X2. Im having to do this with mine now and they arent happy but i found a chicken with a secret next yesterday so now everyone is confined to the coop/run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by