Hens laying in unknown places! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Luvroos, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Hello peeps, a few of my hens have laid eggs in places outdoors that I cannot find. I have tried to trail them but have not found them yet. This is going on 2 months now. I would like for them to lay in their baskets but they get so cranky when they dont get their way and start calling in their hunnys. . . hum, sounds like??? you guessed it KIDS or should I say simply people chickens.

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Put them on lockdown (coop/run) for a week or two. They usually get the idea and will continue to lay in the nest boxes after you let them freerange again.

3. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Try putting "decoy" eggs like wooden eggs or golf balls where you want them to lay - they'll see them and think "aha - this is a good spot for my eggs too!"

4. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    My dog finds them for me. [​IMG] Sometimes I asked nice he will bring them to unbroken. He thinks they are a treat.
    My hen's free range, most of them lay in the nest boxes like they should there are a few loners. Just a thought are you nest boxes big enough? If they are too small (or to large) they might not feel comfortable. Usually lock down works the best.

5. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Well to tell you the truth they are not nest boxes they are actually stacking baskets placed beside each other that they have used for a few weeks now. I have seen people with 5 gallon buckets for nest boxes and then plastic crates and then nothing at all:smack. Good god, I'm being lead in the wrong direction, again, please tell me. . . no:th. I now have lumber with hopes to build my own boxes in a couple of days with hopes that they will all lay in the same area. Lockdown sounds pretty nice though, it'll keep my boys from fighting over them, they are all free range it's tough to keep up with them, they go all different directions.[​IMG]

6. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I had the same problem except mine were laying underneath my house! Didn't realize it until I noticed one of my hens was "missing" thought maybe an owl or something got her well surprise she showed up with chicks! Didn't even cross my mind that she would brood for one she was a white leghorn and two she was only 7 months old! [​IMG] Now I keep them locked up until the afternoon, by then most of them have laid and I still get my eggs and they get to free range for the rest of the day.

7. Luvroos

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I literally think they might be laying under the front porch. It sounds to me as if they dont care where they lay they just lay. I have looked but cant see a thing since it's so dark under there and there are nothing but leaves and dirt. Who knows It's tough to place them in lockdown with my situation being the way it is however I have another idea in which I am going to try here soon just to see how things work for them. I have one that hides under my bed and or in my closet so you can just imagine what Im up against ie: my situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by