Hens laying on floor of coop......????

Batty about Banties

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Gorge
hmm.png
I am not sure how to reinforce them to stop laying on the floor and start laying in the boxes....advice?

Chickens are creatures of habit, so it can be pretty hard to get them to change their ways.. do you have any fake eggs or golf balls in the nest box/boxes? They like to lay where others have laid, so if you can trick them into thinking someone else has laid in the box then maybe they will all start laying there. Good luck!

All of our chickens lay in the boxes...except Bubbles. Sometimes she does and sometimes on the floor. She lays very pretty light green eggs so I know which ones are hers. I also find them outside in little hidden nests. Bubbles is just weird. But if ALL your girls are doing it definitely put some fake eggs in the nest boxes. We couldn't find wooden ones so used plastic ones. I just used the plain plastic but then someone said to fill them with sand and tape them shut so I did that too. You should be able to find them this time of year! They really like to roll a few eggs underneath them before they lay, the extra eggs will really encourage them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom