hens laying outside coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by calmom2, Oct 13, 2016.

1. calmom2

calmom2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    One of my girls is starting to look for places outside the coop and run to lay. This is new. She is 8 months.
    Any suggestions or insight?
    Thank you

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This happens from time to time. If possible, the easiest solution is to confine the flock to the coop and run for a week or two to "re-home" her to the nest boxes as the place to lay.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I would ask myself...why is she wanting to lay outside?

Is it crowded in the coop/nests...how many birds to how much sq ft and number of nests?

Do you free range?
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

4. AshleyFarm

AshleyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    New York

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  5. AshleyFarm

AshleyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    New York
    I agree!

6. calmom2

Mar 23, 2016
    To answer your questions. I have 3 hens.
    Coop is not real big it has 2 nesting boxes but the run is 10x30 feet. Two lay in nesting boxes in coop, the third prefers the dog igloo we put in the run. They free range all day on 5 acres. Put themselves to bed at dusk everyday and get locked up for the night.
    I think I figured out the problem. I decided to change the bedding in the igloo from the cedar bedding that I've always used to hay.
    I don't think she liked the hay at all. As soon as i changed it back she was back in her little igloo. I guess Chicks don't like change?

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, they don't like change...any time you change something you have to give them a few days or so to acclimate before deciding if the change is going to work or not.

If you have one of those tiny coops, she may be low hen and chased out of coop/nests when she needs to use them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  8. calmom2

Mar 23, 2016
    Never thought of that. Maybe we have a bossy girl not letting her in the coop nest.
    I just assumed she liked the igloo?

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

10. calmom2

Mar 23, 2016
    She might.......would take close and patiently careful observation to determine just what or why. 
    Ok thank you for your great info. Sincerely appreciate [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by