Hens laying outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peepmommy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    So I normally let my chickens out of the coop first thing in the morning. I have 9 hens and usually find 2 eggs right away. I check for eggs in the afternoon and usually find 1-2 more eggs. Now, I would normally think that there is nothing unusual about this, however, this morning I did not let my hens out until closer to 11am. I found 7 eggs. After thinking about this, I can't help but wonder was this a coincidence or are my hens laying elsewhere? Any thoughts on this? They are free range and can go anywhere. We do have lots of hiding places...

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    Sounds like they are hiding eggs.

3. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    So, now the question is, should I keep them inside until 11? Is there another way? I really would like to open the coop in the morning, but not if they are going to hide eggs...

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are they? I'm raising a new flock (they will be a year old in April) and I keep them in at least until noon. I have some birds who get confused and lay outside if they get out too early.

Next year I'll let them out in the morning after they are well-trained at laying only in the coop.

Even then, I may have to re-train them sometimes.

I hear ya, I'd love to let them out at dawn! My older birds were great at that but this new group is, well, sometimes uncooperative!

5. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I think they are hiding there eggs. I have a chicken that gets out every morning. My pen does not of a top because my flock is mostly ducks that can't fly (although it isn't that hard to get her back in in the morning considering she'll follow me anywhere). I have found two hidden nest from her (and I'm sure she's hiding another one I just haven't found it yet).

6. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    It is possible but with 11 layers I expect 8 -11eggs regular each day. Weather decreases or increases that accordingly. I wouldn't suspect hiding unless larger numbers were missing regularly.

7. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    Well, since I have 9 hens and usually 4 eggs a day, this is where my question lies! They are young (7 months). I will try keeping them in and see if I magically see the number increase. I really hate to do it, I guess I feel a little guilty, but I want my eggs!! :)

8. confusedbanti

confusedbanti Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    somerset,CA
    If you hate to do it, then DON'T ! How would YOU like to be locked up until 11 ?!? uuuhhhhh not so much , right ?

9. peepmommy

Feb 15, 2012
    We bought chickens to have eggs, so if I have to lock them in until 11 to keep them from hiding eggs, than that's what I need to do. I will let them out earlier after I train them. I feel bad, but not so bad that I can't handle it! I feel bad when I put my kids into time out, but I still do it to make them the best people they can be!

10. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, keep 'em in. I think of it as training.

I'm teaching my birds how to be good citizens in our little world. Eventually you will be able to let them out earlier.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by