Hens Laying, trying to figure out whose eggs are whose.. and who isn't laying yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MysteryChik, Feb 23, 2017.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay. So. We have "adopted" quite a few mixed breed chickens over the last year. Right now we have some laying that I know whose eggs they are. For example our pure bred PBR are laying large brown eggs. (that's an easy one) and I'm pretty sure that the little tiny eggs we are finding-belong to Granny our (we think) Wheaten OEG hen. She's gone broody twice now and gave us babies, so I know what her eggs look like.

!.) I have two hens whose mom is the WHEATEN OEG and Daddy is a Dominique. What color eggs should be laid by them?

2.) Again, Momma is the wheaten OEG but this time, daddy is pure PBR. What color should they be?

Only the pure PBR are laying large dark (but not extremely dark) eggs. But we are finding medium and small browns we arent sure who they are coming from. Could it be both the oeg/pbr AND the oeg/dominique mixes laying those??? all are well over 24 weeks so we know they are capable of laying age wise TY in advance.

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    They should lay brown eggs.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi. [​IMG]

My PBR all lay light brown to pinkish eggs.

But I saw a post where they suggested if it was important to know who laid what... use food coloring and paint around the vent. A different color for each pullet and it will leave that stain on the egg as it passes. Vuala, now you know! Someone who tried it was very happy with the results, as it worked. [​IMG]

Congrats on getting eggs! [​IMG]

4. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

so do you think even if they are mix pbr they should still have a shade of brown?

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Yes.

1 person likes this.
  6. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ

I too think they'd lay brown eggs since OEG's lay cream or tinted eggs. At the very least it should be cream. I just hatched a couple of California Grays (PBR sire and White Leghorn Dam) and I was thinking they'd lay a cream egg but I've read they lay white. I don't know why that is genetically speaking; maybe the white egg gene is dominant and the one that puts a coat of brown paint on white eggs is recessive. So I'm not 100% sure what color the eggs will be but I'd take a SWAG they'd be light brown or cream.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Agreed they will be some shade of cream to brown.

All eggs are white except the blue ones. Blue are blue all the way through the shell. Brown will have a white inner shell. The only thing that matters is how thick the brown coating is that changes the color. But it should be somewhere in the middle of the two, usually. And if you have a blue crossed with brown layer you would get some shade of green depending on the shades of blue and brown, because it would be a blue egg with a brown coating. Even ones that aren't true blue will have white inner shells.

The egg colors stated for different breeds could be any shade of them really. And they say the actual color isn't determined to be the true shade (for Marans) until after egg # 20 because the eggs at the beginning of the season will often be the darkest. Out of my 3 PBR, 1 lays almost medium brown, 1 light brown. and 1 pinkish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by