Hens laying very thin shelled eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmyZ, Dec 12, 2016.

1. AmyZ

AmyZ New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    Hi new to chickens but have four Hyline hens. Two (purchase in Aug) lay beautiful eggs. The other two (purchased Feb at 18 weeks old) lay eggs with shells either broken (or usually break picking up) or are just membranes. The eggs have been like this since just after I bought them.

Their feathers look a bit duller than the two 'good' chickens. But they otherwise look very healthy.
    I feed them high quality food and have tried different types.
    There were allowed to free range, but have kept them cooped up for the last month to see if this would help. It hasn't.
    They have free access to poultry grit.
    They lay almost every day.

I would LOVE any advice on what to do. I am sick of cleaning messes out of the chicken house!

Thanks so much for reading! :)

P.S. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category. I wasn't sure if it due to disease or nutrition!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Are you feeding Layer? Do they have access to Oyster Shells?
    You mentioned Grit but not Oyster Shells which is a supplement to strengthen egg shells.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  4. AmyZ

AmyZ New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    Thanks very much CTKen! I hadn't seen this page.
    Given the long time, it looks like it is either nutrition (although I'm not sure what else I can do!) or disease.
    If disease, I can't see anything obvious. I will consult with vet on how to treat possible internal parasites.
    Thanks again!

5. AmyZ

AmyZ New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    ChickNanny123, yes I'm feeding Layer Crush (good quality recommended by breeder) and they have unlimited access to oystershells.

Thanks for your interest :)

6. AmyZ

AmyZ New Egg

Dec 12, 2016
    Sorry, I meant Oyster shells, not grit.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Have you called to ask the breeder for help? Will be following to see if this issue gets resolved.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by