Hen's leg lame from rooster mounting

ragus411

Hatching
Jun 19, 2016
Good Morning. We have 15 hens who free-range during the day and receive organic layer pellets for food. We believe our two-year-old Ameraucana hen's left leg was injured from mating. Before our rooster came she (Checkers) was very healthy. A few months after our rooster arrived, she started having a bad limp on her left leg. The rooster was an Ameraucana, so he wasn't too heavy for her. About a month later, we had to cull him because he had become too aggressive with the flock. Checkers made a full recovery shortly thereafter. So, we assumed that it was due to his mounting of her that she was injured. This occurred last August and she was perfectly fine until a few weeks ago. We have not had a rooster since then, but she started limping and it has progressed to the point she is no longer free-ranging with the flock, but staying by the coop. She is bright-eyed, feathers look glossy, laying good eggs, and shows no other signs of ill health. She just can't put any weight on her left leg. It is not paralyzed and she has no curled toes. Can anyone help us help her?

Thanks for your time.

Erin

Welcome to BYC. So she just recently started limping, or she started limping back last August? It sounds like she was injured pretty seriously. Hens can suffer broken legs or sprains, and they may not get better unless they rest the leg for a few weeks. But some injuries higher in the leg may not get better. I would pen her up in the coop where she can lay eggs and be with the flock, but not jump up on a roost, or do a lot of walking/running. Chicken slings sometimes are used to rest a leg. If possible, though an Xray by a local vet could explain whether or not it is broken. Here is a good link to read about bone breaks and splinting or treatment in birds: https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

LL
59765_pp.jpg
47386_dixie_slung_09-19-2010_2.jpg

Eggcessive,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post. I followed your link, which led me to this link about poultry podiatry:
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry#chick_crooked_leg

It appears she has a slipped tendon and her hock is inflamed, but not infected. I've massaged the hock and wrapped it with some self-adhesive surgical wrap. We'll keep her separated and hope for the best. She must have injured it when the roo was around last summer. It healed within a week or two after he was gone (August 2015) and the injury reappeared June 2016. I guess once you have an injury like that, it is more susceptible to reoccur; similar to twisted ankles.

Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Erin

Thank you for the additional information. The internet is a wonderful resource!

Best,
Erin

Back
Top Bottom